Pages

Saturday, May 1, 2010

Out of the Mouths of Babes



My two-year-old nephew (in the picture above) is such a funny little fellow!  (And just FYI, I had the date wrong on my camera AGAIN when I took the photo above.  It was taken in 2010, not 2009.  For some reason I keep doing that.  Ugh!)  Isaac is one of the siblings of the new baby, Silas, that I posted about being born last week on April 19.  Because of the birth of his new baby brother, I've been spending a lot of time at his house lately helping my sister, Melissa, with him so she can rest and not be tugged on by a toddler while trying to care for a newborn. 

When I've gone to Isaac's house, of course I've taken my own children with me.  You may (or may not) know that I have a 14-year-old daughter, Hannah, who has autism and is totally non-verbal.  Isaac LOVES Hannah and enjoys talking to her, hugging her, sitting in her lap, and just in general being around her.  Hannah seems to really enjoy Isaac's company too.  He makes her smile and laugh, and I think she enjoys the fact that he spends time with her. 

My sister and I have often wondered what Isaac thinks about Hannah's being non-verbal--or if he even thinks about it at all.  He always just goes right on talking to her and doesn't seem to notice or mind that she never speaks back.  We just figure that, one day when he is old enough to ask about it, we will explain.  Until then, he probably wouldn't understand if we tried to explain anyway. 

A few days ago I was at Melissa's house taking care of Isaac and her other two "older" children.  Hannah enjoys books--books to read and picture books too.  She was sitting on the couch looking at some of Isaac's picture books.  Isaac decided he wanted to look at the book that Hannah had at the moment, so he came running to me asking if I would take it away from Hannah for him.  I looked at him and said, "Isaac, I think Hannah will give it to you if you just ask her."  Isaac looked back at me with that you-silly-grownup kind of look, laughed, and said, "Oh, Dede, you KNOW Hannah won't talk to me!!" 

I love that little boy.    :) 

post signature

2 comments:

  1. Oh, Wendy, that is adorable! He's a little cutie patootie too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I'm kind of partial to him too! :) Who knows what little kids are thinking?! It was so funny the way he looked at me when he said it. He must have been thinking what a goofball I am. It's kind of neat to have a blog to share such things when they happen. It adds to the fun. Thanks for your comment!

    ReplyDelete