Pages

Monday, July 19, 2010

Schoolhouse Planner "Travel the World" Module

Travel the World

It's time for this year's The Old Schoolhouse Homeschool Crew to begin reviewing again!  Last year on the Crew was so much fun!!  It was like Christmas all year long as I got new homeschool products in the mailbox or my inbox every few weeks.  I am really excited about starting my second year on the Crew and about this first review of the year. 

The first thing I am reviewing for this year is the "Travel the World" module of the Schoolhouse Planner.  This module sells for $7.95 at the Schoolhouse Store.  It is actually a mini unit study about geography.  This mini unit study begins by defining geography.  Then it gives information about maps and globes, continents, the hemispheres, latitude and longitude, and lots more! 

I am sorry to admit that I have intended to do a study about geography with my children for the last few years, but I just never got around to doing it.  The truth is that I never learned much geography in school, and I wasn't very sure how to go about teaching it to my own children.  After reading this module, though, I think I have found a good starting point.

After reading the module, it looks to me like it would probably work well for students in grades 4 and up because of some of the more "technical" information included.  If you have a younger student, though, I think you could adapt many of the readings and activities to work for younger students too.  There are several activities that look like they are specifically geared to younger students and, even if you are doing the mini unit study with older students, would be helpful and fun for younger siblings to do.  There is, for example, some manuscript copywork included as well as some coloring pages, crossword puzzles, word finds, and a template for a "travel book" that could be used by any age student(s). 

I also really like the fact that there are high school expansion activities included in the module.  It is usually pretty easy to find unit studies for younger students and even middle-school students.  Sometimes, though, it can be difficult to find them (especially short ones like this one if you don't want to commit to a unit study that will take much of your semester or school year to complete) for older students.  There are activities, websites, and literature ideas for high school age students listed in this module.  There is also a more difficult word search activity. 

If you want to do a geography unit study that can be done in a week or two (or that can be expanded for many weeks using the extra websites and ideas given in the module), then this is an inexpensive but quality resource you may want to consider.  I don't know if I ever would have thought of one of the TOS Schoolhouse Planner modules as a source for such a study, but from now on I will!  If you decide to give this mini geography unit study a try, I hope you will let me know how you like it! 

If you want to see how other Crew members liked this planner module, click here to find more reviews. 

post signature
Note:  I received this product free in exchange for writing this review.  The information contained here is my honest opinion.  I did not receive any other compensation for writing this review.

6 comments:

  1. Hi! Stopping by from the Crew to check out your review. Have a wonderfully blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed reading your review~ look forward to checking out more of your blog. I am now following you (I am also on the Homeschool Crew).

    http://www.lightlibertyandlearning.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks to Guiding Light and Denise for visiting my blog today and for leaving a comment. :) Now I'm headed over to take a look at both of your blogs too. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello from a fellow TOS crew member. I'm spending a little time checking out some of the the other reviews. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. stopping by from the Crew. Great job on your review! I look forward to reading more of your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks! I'm glad you stopped by. I'll go check out your blog too. :)

    ReplyDelete