Pages

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Pyramath Card Game Review

Photobucket


Have you ever heard of Pyramath? Well, I hadn’t either until I received the Pyramath card game to review for The Old Schoolhouse Homeschool Crew. Since math is not a favorite of my kids and this item was given to me to review with my 7-year-old daughter who isn’t super good at math, I really wasn’t looking forward to reviewing this one. (Just being honest!)


Before I received my set of cards, I took a look at some information about the cards online. You can do that here. Even after checking out the information, I wasn’t convinced that it would work for Mary Grace. Math is probably the subject that she likes least of all. I was afraid that it would be frustrating to her to “have” to use the cards for me to be able to write the review. I knew I needed to have her give it a try, though, so I put on a happy face and showed her the cards.

As I showed her the cards, I pretended to be excited about them (after all, I didn’t want my negative opinion to influence her opinion). Mary Grace loves to play games, especially with her daddy and me, so I knew that would work in my favor. She seemed mildly interested in learning to play, but she did say that she thought it would be too hard for her.


One thing I really like about this game is that the rules can be adjusted based on the child’s math skills and ability to reason, etc. The card game is designed to help students improve skills in basic math such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. I explained the rules to her, told her which math operations we would be using (addition and subtraction for her age level, but more advanced math students could certainly add multiplication and division or even square roots and powers and other higher-level math skills). Then we began to play the game.

I was totally surprised that Mary Grace loved the game!! In fact, she learned right away that, if she was going to win, she would have to pay close attention to the game and do her best. She hardly ever pays close attention to her math work because she just isn’t very excited about it or interested in it. For this game, though, she actually concentrated and even enjoyed it! Instead of hating math, she was enjoying it! In fact, she asked to play it over and over and over. Normally I get tired of playing the same games with her time after time, but in this case I was glad to comply. We were both having fun!

You can see what the cards look like and take a look at the rules here. The card game costs $6.95 and can be purchased on their website. They have other card games that help improve other math skills too.

Another thing I’d like to point out is that ANY student can benefit from these cards--not just homeschoolers. And at $6.95, this is an affordable way to have some fun with your child while building math skills at the same time!

Other Homeschool Crew members reviewed the Pyramath cards just like I did, and some reviewed I See Cards by the same folks that do the Pyramath game. You might like to see what the other Crew members have to say about their experiences with either Pyramath or I See Cards. Click THIS LINK to read their reviews.


post signature

2 comments:

  1. I just stumbled upon a jewel! As a homeschooling mom, wow, to read all of these reviews and sort through all of the stuff out there. Thank you!

    Delighted to meet you today! Hope you don't mind if I splash around for a bit. This looks like a refreshing spot.

    happy day,
    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sara,

    Thanks so much for visiting my blog and for leaving a comment. :) I feel very blessed to be a part of the Homeschool Crew and to receive for review all of these wonderful homeschool products! I'm glad you came across the site and hope the reviews are helpful to you.

    Thanks for the nice comment about my blog as well. I appreciate that so much! I will visit your blog in a little while too. :)

    Blessings,

    Wendy

    ReplyDelete