Pages

Friday, November 12, 2010

Southern Girl in the North

It's so very hard to believe that my week here in Pennsylvania is almost over!  Noah, Mary Grace, and I arrived in Baltimore, MD, this past Saturday to visit with Heidi Strawser and her family.  They live in Pennsylvania, but we flew into the airport in Baltimore.  They picked us up and took us home with them for the week. 

Heidi is in charge of Special Projects for The Old Schoolhouse Magazine.  I got to know her when I began reviewing for the TOS Homeschool Crew last year.  I have worked with her some since I started working part-time for TOS this past March.  We actually met for the first time this past May.  We decided it would be fun to visit each other at home, though, so the kids and I made plans to come visit. 

Since we've been here, we've spent several days just "hanging around" here at their house.  I really wanted plenty of time to just visit and do the regular day-to-day kinds of things that they normally do.  I really feel like I know someone when I've spent time just visiting and being at home with that person.  We've gone to the grocery store, walked down to the post office to check the mail, stayed at home to visit, and visited a few local stores.

I embarrassed myself terribly at one of the stores we visited a couple of days ago.  I went into the store to see if they had any yarn.  Heid's daughter, Gracie, and my daughter, Mary Grace, wanted yarn to use to make knit hats and scarves on Gracie's knitting looms.  I told Heidi that I would run into the store really quick and ask if they had yarn before getting all the kids out of the car to go in and find that they didn't even have what we needed.  (So thankfully everyone I was with didn't hear me embarrass myself.)  So I opened the door, poked my head inside, and asked the sales lady, "Do ya'll have any yarn here?"  It wasn't until right after I asked that I realized the sales lady and several customers were laughing (quietly to themselves, but I saw them) because I said "ya'll."  It was too  late!  I couldn't take it back! 

I didn't really mind that much.  :)  I'm sure it would have been funny to me too if I wasn't from the South.  I've been telling myself that they were laughing with me--not at me.  Is that possible, though, if I wasn't laughing?  At least I had a part in making several folks smile that day!  I hope you are smiling and having a great day today, too.

In fact, I'd love to hear about something funny that recently happened to you or someone in your family or even about something else that makes you smile. 

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment