Pages

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Have You Tried You Version?

Have you tried You Version?  I finally took a look at it several weeks ago, and I love it!!  A friend told me about it months ago, but I never took the time to check it out.  I recently remembered it, though, and decided to take a look.

Most of you probably know what You Version is, but I'll explain just in case.  You Version is a website (www.youversion.com) where you can go to read the Bible, make observations or ask questions of others, bookmark passages and make comments on them, etc.  There are quite a few Bible versions available there, and there are about 20 different Bible reading plans available there too. 

Since I did the Bible in 90 Days (which I'm sorry to say I wasn't very faithful to post about), I've wanted to keep in the habit of reading my Bible every day.  One of the main problems I have with that, though, is forgetting to read until after I've gotten in bed at night.  Or some days I read earlier in the day and don't get finished with the entire passage or chapter or section that I want to read that day.  Many times, I remember that I need to finish reading right after I get in bed. 

When that happens, it's not very likely that I'll get out of bed and finish my reading.  Sometimes Scott is already in bed, and I don't want to turn on the lights and disturb him.  Other times I'm just so tired (ok......or lazy!) that I won't get up and get my Bible and go read it somewhere else. 

I decided to download the You Version app on my cell phone, which I keep beside my bed at night.  Now, if I remember that I need to read my Bible or finish reading it after I'm in bed at night, I just reach over and grab my phone and read!  It's so neat!! 

And because I'm reading it on my cell phone, I can read it anywhere I happen to be without having to try to remember to bring my Bible along.  My son gets allergy shots, so we are at the ENT's office once a week for that.  Sometimes when I'm sitting there waiting, I'll grab my cell phone and read some (or maybe all) of the day's Bible reading.  I've also read it when I've been stuck in the check-out line at the store, or when I've been riding (not driving!) in the car.  I almost always have my cell phone with me, so it's available any time for me to read! 

I picked out a reading plan, so the calendar (there at You Version) tells me exactly what I need to read each day.  If I want to read ahead, that's no problem either.  Once I've read a particular day's reading, it is automatically highlighted on the calendar so that I can easily tell I've already read it. 

The plan I chose to read this time is one in which I should finish reading the Bible in a year.  For this reading, I'm doing a one-year reading since I already did the 90-day reading.  I want to be able to take a little more time and read more slowly and carefully this time since I already read it the "quick-overview" way. 

I don't do a lot of reading on my computer, but if I wanted to, I could do my reading on the computer instead of my cell phone.  I actually prefer to do it on my phone, though, since it is more portable than my computer.  I have more freedom to read whenever and wherever I want to on my phone. 

If you haven't looked at You Version yet, you might want to do that.  I'm really glad I did! 
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment