Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Breaking News

I've gotten Facebook messages, emails, text messages, and phone calls this past week from so many of my wonderful friends!!  I thought I would post an update here on my blog for those of you who have been asking how Noah is doing. 

For those who don't know what happened, my 14-year-old son, Noah, broke his jaw a week ago!  Yep.  Broke it.  Some of you have asked how it happened, so here's the story.....

Last Sunday, May 1, Noah was playing the Wii in the living room.  I was attempting to take a nap because I'd had a busy week and was really tired.  Everyone else was occupied too.  We were all just taking it easy and enjoying our Sunday afternoon.  Around 2:30 or so, my husband came running into the bedroom and woke me up.  All he said was, "It's Noah.  Come here......NOW!"  If you know Scott, you know he doesn't yell.  He's usually calm and collected.  Not this time. 

Needless to say, I was instantly awake and running into the living room.  There I found Noah sitting on the floor and holding his chin with blood dripping from his hands.  I couldn't tell if the blood was coming from his teeth, his nose, his chin, or where.  He kept saying, "I think it's broken!"  (He was a little panic-stricken and in lots of pain!)  I finally calmed him (and myself) enough to try to find out what had happened and where the blood was coming from.

He had been playing ping pong on the Wii when he blacked out.  We don't know why he blacked out, and the doctor didn't seem too concerned about it.  We still don't know why it happened, but hopefully it won't happen again!  Anyway, for some reason he blacked out and fell face first onto our stained concrete floor!  When he woke up (which was just seconds later), he sat up and realized that something was terribly wrong and that he was in great pain.  I think he realized right away that his jaw was broken--or at least he thought it might be. 

Turns out the blood was dripping from the cut on his chin which happened when he hit the floor.  The cut wasn't actually too bad.  It just looked bad because cuts on the head usually bleed a lot.  Once it heals, it will hardly be noticeable at all.  That was the good news.

Scott and I immediately called a neighbor to come stay with the girls while we rushed Noah to the emergency room.  They took him back pretty quickly and did an x-ray to try to see if his jaw was broken, fractured, or what.  The x-rays at the hospital looked as if his jaw bone was just fractured.  They said it would be best, though, to follow up with another doctor here in town who specializes in oral and maxillofacial surgery.  First thing on Monday, we saw the specialist and had more x-rays done.  It was very clear from the x-rays on Monday that his jaw bone was broken all the way through.  That was the bad news.

The doctor, because it was an emergency, did surgery on Noah that very afternoon to wire his top and bottom teeth together.  He said that he could have put a metal plate over the broken bone, but there were several reasons why he thought the wiring together was the best option.  After listening to him and weighing our options, we agreed with him and went ahead with the wiring. 

Poor Noah had been in so much pain since the afternoon before, and he had been unsure of what was going to happen.  He was pretty stressed out by Monday afternoon when it was time to do the procedure.  He made it, though, and Scott and I did too! 

He was in a lot of pain for the first 2 or 3 days.  He was taking some pretty strong pain medicine and was sleeping a lot.  On about Thursday or Friday, though, the pain started decreasing, he started resting much better at night, and he was beginning to feel a little better in general.  Now, a week after the procedure to wire his teeth together, he isn't taking any pain medicine at all and is feeling pretty good.

The main problem now is that he doesn't have much energy since he can't eat "real" food.  He's been living mainly on Ensure milkshakes and cream of chicken soup.  He can only eat whatever he can suck through a straw until the wires are taken off!  We don't really know how long that will be, but the estimate is 4 to 6 weeks.  He'll go back to the doctor once a week for x-rays to see how it's healing and decide when the wires can be removed. 

So far he's been really good about not resenting it when the rest of us eat.  I was afraid it would upset him or make him miserable.  We don't make him sit at the table with us when we eat meals (but of course he's welcome if he wants to), and we try not to eat candy or cookies or things that might be particularly tempting in front of him.  He hasn't wanted to try drinking applesauce or other kinds of creamed soups (like tomato or mushroom, etc.).  I figure he'll get pretty sick and tired of milkshakes and cream of chicken soup, though, and maybe he'll try some other things then. 

I am so thankful that he is alive and well and that no worse damage was done to him.  Times like this make me realize that life can change in an instant.  We always think that things like that happen to other folks, but sometimes we ARE the "other folks."  We surely do appreciate the prayers for comfort and healing for Noah and ask that you keep on praying!  Soon he'll be healthy and well.  And then we'll all have to listen to his "war" stories!  I'm looking forward to that day!  :) 

post signature


  1. Oh my! I am so sorry about your son. I bet you were scared to death. Hope he has quick recovery!

  2. Oh Wendy that sounds so scary! I hope he feels better soon.

  3. Thank you both for your well wishes. :) We'll go tomorrow for his first once-a-week checkup to see how he's healing so far.

  4. WOW. Scary. Our Wii is in our basement. Concrete floors. We have two layers of carpet for padding. Prayers for you and for him. Eating and living with a family eating normal things must be hard. Glad to hear the pain has lessened and hope you find other things he will want to and be able to eat.

  5. I'm glad that he's ok Wendy! That must have been pretty scary! I know I would have been scared. Great job staying calm!

  6. Wendy, I am so glad to hear he is OK! Try making smoothies and soups. They can be packed with all kinds of good nutrient rich foods, and then blended into a puree so it can be drunk through a straw. Our favorite smoothie is chocolate, peanut butter, banana, but we also like strawberry, banana, spinach. (Yes, the spinach is hardly noticeable, but adds a powerful iron punch!) And there are a ton of great cream soups that you can make hot or cold. Maybe that would help him to get some strength back. :0)