Pages

Friday, August 26, 2011

The Homeschool Mother's Journal

The Homeschool Mother's Journal


In my life this week…
We have done our second week of school, started back to ballet, and started tennis lessons.  It sure was nice over the summer not to have to go somewhere nearly every day!  :)

In our homeschool this week…
We are now doing all of the subjects we will be doing this year except for my son's online history class (Omnibus III that he takes through Veritas Press) which begins after Labor Day and the speech and debate class that both Noah and Mary Grace will take with a group of students from our homeschool support group and which also begins after Labor Day. 

Helpful homeschooling tips or advice to share…
The advice I have for right now is for myself!  My advice is to take it one small step at a time and not to get too overwhelmed with the kids' school work, my own work, keeping house, doing laundry, chauffeuring back and forth to tennis and ballet and church that I forget that I'm doing all of this to honor God.  My husband I believe that it is God's will for our children to be homeschooled.  Sometimes I forget to obey and honor God in the things I do, and I try to get it all done in my own strength.  That never works! 

I am inspired by…
Folks who can get up early, work all day whether at home or at an outside-of-the-house job, get in bed late, and get up and do it all again the next day!  I am not a night owl!

My favorite thing this week was…
Tennis lessons!  I had no idea I would enjoy tennis so much, but I do!  I also love the fact that the kids and Scott and I are all learning to play so we'll be able to play together.......eventually........when we all learn to actually hit the ball over the net on a regular basis! 

What’s working/not working for us…
Getting up early is not working for us!!  But, alas, we must get up a bit earlier than we did all summer in order to get things done before we lose the ability to concentrate later in the day. 

Questions/thoughts I have…
I wonder if one day my children will want to homeschool their children. 

Things I’m working on…
I'm doing a project or two for work (I work from home for The Old Schoolhouse Magazine.) that I'm really enjoying!  I'm also working on a quilt for my little nephew.  I love to quilt!! 

I’m reading…
Several books.  It drives my hubby crazy because he likes to read one book, finish it, and then read another.  My son is the same way.  My daughters and I, though, like to read several at a time.  That way we can read a mystery when we're in the mood for one, an adventure book when we're in that mood, an informational book when we're in that mood........ 

I’m cooking…
Oh no!  I'm probably "cooking" my tea bags till they're dry!  (Went to check tea pot on the stove.)  Just in time! 

I’m grateful for…
My house!  Even after being in my house for 3 1/2 years, I'm still thankful for it every day!  I can't believe that after years and years of waiting to be able to build and 4 months of building, I finally have the house I dreamed about for so long!  It's not fancy or huge or any of those things, but it's just right for my family and me.  And I'm so thankful to have it!

I’m praying for…
A good school year.  I want this school year to be the best one we've ever had.  I want to be more organized, be more cheerful, keep a better schedule, have dinner cooked when Scott gets home, keep the house clean (well.....at least decent), and to have more time to relax and spend time with the kiddos on the weekends.  (Might as well aim high!) 

post signature

2 comments:

  1. We start our new year this coming Monday and I dread getting up early. LOL We have made it a summer habit of staying up waaaay too late. I intended to transition to earlier bedtimes these last couple of weeks, but it didn't happen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean! We don't stay up too terribly late even during summer because I'm NOT a night person. We do sleep a little later, though. I had intended to transition to getting up earlier for the week or two before we started school, but it didn't happen!

    ReplyDelete