Pages

Friday, December 30, 2011

Pictionary Uncensored (Or Me and My Big Mouth)



I love Pictionary!  If you can't quite see it in the photos above, it's the Pictionary game I got for Christmas from my mother-in-love.  And if you're wondering about the "caution" that is taped on my new game, I'll tell you the story....

When my hubby and I were dating (20 years ago!), we loved to spend time with his parents playing games.  We often spent our "date time" eating dinner at his house with his family and then playing board games afterward.  One evening they got out the Pictionary game.  What they didn't know was that I was a Pictionary champion! 

You see, my identical twin sister and I were fantastic at Pictionary!  We were virtually unbeatable.  We were always on the same team, of course, and we absolutely terrorized the team that we played against.  I guess it was our "twin connection" that gave us the advantage, and we definitely used it to our advantage.  (My sweet hubby now says that one of us could draw a stick man holding a microphone and the other one would instantly know that it was a drawing of Kenny Loggins eating an ice cream cone!)  Anyway, you can see that I was in a habit of performing well whenever I played the game.

So one weekend we decided to play Pictionary with Scott's parents.  Scott and his dad were on a team, and I teamed up with his mom.  The game wasn't going as well as I had thought it would, but we were all having fun.  It was nearing the end of the game, though, and I wasn't sure if my team was going to win.  I suppose I must have been a little too competitive back then, because I was getting a little bit frustrated that his mom wasn't understanding what I was drawing.  I guess I got a bit carried away in the moment. 

My final drawing was of a spring and a chicken--at least it was obvious to me that my drawing was of a spring and a chicken.  And the word, obviously, was "spring chicken."  The only problem was that Scott's mom was guessing everything except the right words!  Without really realizing it, I jumped up out of my chair, pointed to the spring and the chicken, and yelled, "Think people!  Spring!  Chicken!  Spring!  Chicken!  What else could it be?!" 

Then, after completely humiliating my poor sweet hubby (who wasn't yet my hubby at that time), I sat back down, looked around the table, and noticed that everyone at the table had his (or her) mouth hanging wide open with astonished looks on their faces!  What had I done??

To my great relief, we all burst out laughing right after that!  You can probably understand why this story is still being told even 20 years later.  And you'll be glad to know (at least I was glad) that Scott's parents forgave me and even agreed to continue playing board games with Scott and me on the weekends--as long as it wasn't Pictionary!
post signature

3 comments:

  1. It sounds like you shocked them and they still love you. ;) We play games more with my in-laws than anyone else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I think you're right. :) I'm thankful that they still love me!

    ReplyDelete