Pages

Monday, February 13, 2012

Valentine's Day Candy: YUM!

We don't usually go "all out" for Valentine's Day at my house, but we do like to do a little something for each other on that day.  My hubby and I usually exchange cards, and the kiddos often make cards for Scott and me.  Rather than cards, though, the kids would rather have something yummy to eat! 

Mary Grace (the only one who likes to help me cook) and I made some candy to share with the family and folks at church.  We don't really know what it's called, but it's definitely easy to make, and it's definitely yummy!

Here's how it looks when it's almost finished. 
The only thing left to do is let it cool and break it into pieces. 

Although you can't see it in this picture, there is a layer of milk chocolate on the bottom of the pan.  Then the milk chocolate layer is covered by a layer of white chocolate.  We sprinkled M&Ms over about 2/3 of the pan before the chocolate had time to set.  Then we sprinkled broken up bits of candy cane over the remaining 1/3.  The kids don't like the candy cane part very much, but I love it!  That's why we only covered a small part of it with the crushed candy canes.  Maybe I will eat less of it that way.  We'll see!  ;)

We simply melted a bag of milk chocolate chips and put it in a foil-lined pan.  We tilted the pan to make the milk chocolate spread around without tearing the foil.  We put the pan in the freezer for a few minutes while we melted the bag of white chocolate chips.  Once those were melted, we poured the melted white chocolate over the milk chocolate.  Be very sure to tilt the pan to make this layer cover the other one.  If you spread it with a spoon, it may cause the milk chocolate under the bottom to show through.  Of course it will still taste great, but it won't look as pretty. 

Then, as I stated earlier, we just sprinkled M&Ms over part of the pan and crushed up candy canes over the rest.  The last step is to break the candy apart into pieces. 



When I give away candy like this, I always choose the pretties pieces to give away.  That makes me feel much better about eating what's left.  After all, it wouldn't be nice to give away the pieces that didn't turn out as pretty, right?

Since Valentine's Day is tomorrow, do you have any quick and simple recipes to share?  Or do you celebrate the day without candy?  I'd love to hear what you and your family do to make Valentine's Day special!
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment