Pages

Monday, September 23, 2013

My Grandmother's Pumpkin Pie

One of the things I love best about fall is baking yummy pumpkin pies! Sometimes I make them at other times of the year, but fall just seems like the absolute perfect time to bake and eat them. 



My grandmother (who happens to be the best cook and baker in the entire world--isn't your grandmother the best in the world too?) introduced me to this deliciously different pumpkin pie when I was just a little bitty girl. At the time, of course I had no idea that her recipe was different than the recipes used by most other people. I just new that I loved it!

As I got older, I realized that my grandmother's pumpkin pies were very different than those made by others. I remember how disappointed I was the first time I ate a more traditional pumpkin pie. It just tasted so strongly of cloves and nutmeg. It tasted so heavy. That gave me a new appreciation for my grandmother and her yummy pies! 

I have many warm-and-fuzzy memories of my grandmother in the kitchen, hearing the familiar sounds and smelling the familiar smells as she cooked and baked for her family. And I remember waiting with anticipation for her to be finished so we could eat! I will forever think of my grandmother every time I eat this pie or share the recipe with someone. Sweet, happy memories! 

If you like more traditional pumpkin pies with lots of spices, you may be surprised by this rather different recipe, and you may even enjoy it! I hope you'll give it a try and let me know what you think. 

And if you have a pumpkin pie recipe that you'd like to share, I would love to try your recipe too! 


post signature




1 comment:

  1. Thanks, Wendy-I have a small pumpkin sitting here just waiting on a recipe- so this is perfect!

    ReplyDelete